Spinach artichoke dip is our favorite appetizer! I made this quick and easy dip before going to pick Katie up at the airport so that we would have something to snack on while preparing dinner.
All you need is:
- 1 box of frozen spinach (10 oz)
- 1 can of artichoke hearts
- 2/3 cup Tofutti cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
- salt and pepper
1. Warm the olive oil and garlic over a very low heat in a frying pan. You do not want the garlic to burn or brown too much.
2. Chop up the artichokes and add to pan, increase the heat to medium-low at this point and stir occasionally.
3. Microwave the spinach to thaw (or set out a few hours in advance). Squeeze the liquid out of the spinach. I use my hands to wring it out.
4. Add the spinach to the garlic and artichokes. Continue to cook until all extra liquid is cooked off.
5. Sprinkle with nutmeg, crushed red peppers, salt and pepper.
6. Add the Toffuti cream cheese and mayonnaise.
7. Keep over heat and stir until the cream cheese has melted and the mixture is warmed.
8. Service with tortilla chips or flatbread.
The spinach artichoke dip was delicious! We did not tell Eric and Lindsey that it was dairy free until after they tried it, they were so surprised because it tastes exactly like the dairy version we have made before!
Since Katie and I are together and on vacation we will be making quite a few posts as we experiment with some new recipes and good food over the next few days. We have cupcakes, spaghetti, and pancakes posts coming soon!