I bought some really nice flank steaks at Trader Joe’s yesterday. While I was there I saw that they have tri-tip steaks!! That is the first time I have seen that cut of meat for sale on this side of the country. I didn’t buy one, but now I know where to go when I need one!
I marinated the steaks for 6 hours in worcestershire sauce, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Then seared in a hot pan for 4 minutes on each side. It was a little too bloody, so after slicing I seared each slice again for about 30 seconds on each side.
Served ontop of iceberg lettuce and spinach with guacamole, salsa, and cilantro.
My Salsa Recipe
- 1 serrano pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 medium sweet onion
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted)
- handful fresh cilantro
- a few shakes of sea salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Roast the garlic in the tablespoon of olive oil on the stove for about 10 minutes. Keep the temperature around 1 or 2 so it doesn’t brown too fast. Burnt garlic is gross….
2. Dice peppers, onion, cilantro.
3. Throw all ingredients in a blender (including garlic and the olive oil from the pan) and blend until it is the consistency you like it.